Sunday, May 20, 2012

Yes Man (Peyton Reed, 2008) Review

Ah, Jim Carrey. One of my personal favourite actors of all time. While I won't go too deep into why I like Jim Carrey so much until I get onto my favourite Jim Carrey (you'll have to wait for that), I will praise how he still holds up even in recent years (after all he has been doing kids films recently). Yes Man is one of those comedy films that has a heart and really brings forward a clever narrative that is tied together well. I guess the question is, do I like this film? The answer: Yes. Heh. Did you see what I did there...I...I made a joke...good for me.


The film focuses on Carl Allen (Jim Carrey), a pessimistic single man who has reached a point in his life wear he realises that he is leaving everyone out of his life. After work, he bumps into an old friend who takes into a seminar that suggests the idea of saying "yes" to every opportunity given to them. Carl agrees to a 'covenant' with the head of the 'yes' seminar Terrence Bundley (Terrence Stamp). Now Carl has to say 'yes' at every opportunity. He learns Korean, learns to play the guitar and takes part in other activities and learns more skills. The second half of the narrative (the first being the whole 'yes' thing) is the introduction of the main love interest Allison (Zooey Deschanel).


As you might expect from a Jim Carrey film, it's a comedy film. It's that weird kind of comedy that Jim Carrey is accustomed too. The usual silly mannerisms, voices and faces that he does are still here yet it's at a limit now since they clearly wanted to make a more serious Jim Carrey comedy film. Don't get me wrong, it's still pretty funny but the much funnier parts are the more subtle uses of comedy including scenes with Carl's boss Norman (Rhys Darby). Norman is a funny character anyway so that would make sense, I guess.


The best part of the film is the whole concept. It's pretty unique to come up with the idea of having our protagonist who just can't say "no". It's interesting and fun to see what decisions will be presented to Carl and how they will be brought back later in the film. 


This is going to be a brief point but man do I love the soundtrack to this film. Two songs of interest are Journey's Separate Way and Jim Carrey's cover of Third Eye Blind's song Jumper. The use of those songs are very memorable and song of the best moments of the films.


Yes Man, like Limitless (both featuring Bradley Cooper), brings an interesting narrative with a unique concept. It shows that Jim Carrey's style of comedy still works even now. I would love to see more films like this in the future and hope that more unique ideas are brought into the comedy genre.


Verdict:
9/10
A hilarious Jim Carrey romp that has heart and really is clever and gripping.

No comments:

Post a Comment