Thursday, March 14, 2013

Commando (Mark L. Lester, 1985) Review

Remember when I said that I would review another franchise? I lied. Instead we're looking at one of Arnold Schwarzenegger's most macho films that was made back during his prime! This was before the days of Batman and Robin and Jingle all the Way. Many consider this to be the primary Arnie film that just symbolises what Arnie is all about! Let's take a look at Commando!

Retired military agent John Matrix (Arnold Schwarzenegger) lives a happy life with his daughter, Jenny (Alyssa Milano). That is until a group of terrorists start killing Matrix's fellow soldiers and finally aims for Matrix. They kidnap Jenny and force Matrix intro assassinating the president of another country. Matrix manages to trick the terrorists and now has 11 hours to come up with a plan to save Jenny and finish off the terrorists.

Yes, this is cheesy. Yes, Arnie can't act. Yes, it barely makes any sense. Does this mean it's a terrible film? You'd think so, but no. This is probably Arnie's best (well, The Terminator was better but...it's not just Arnie blowing stuff up) but I'm not really sure how much that's saying. The term badass is defined by this movie but looking at it now, is it really that good? It's pretty awesome, I'll give it that and I did find it surprisingly heartwarming (just look at the lengths Matrix goes to save Jenny!)  as well as action packed. I did thoroughly enjoy Commando.

Did I say thoroughly? I guess there is some leniency there. This is an unbelievably stupid movie. Cindy (Rae Dawn Chong) is a very annoying character that offers nothing to the narrative at all. Why was she inventied? I have no idea and I think the film would have benefited from her absence. In addition, there are some moments that go beyond stupid where I have to draw the line. 

Commando is one of Arnold Schwarzenegger better films but, like I said, I'm not really sure if that statement is worth anything. If people do hate this film, then I guess this is a guilty pleasure. I would watch it again but, technically speaking, this is a stupid, stupid film. I can think of many worse Arnie films like Jingle all the Way and Junior so if you want a good Arnie film, this is one of them. 

Verdict:
6.5/10
A stupid film that I can't help but enjoy. One of the most badass films ever, 'nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment