Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Gone Girl (David Fincher, 2014) Review

This one is late. Really, really late but I have good reason. Like I said in my previous reviews back early October, I can only use the internet when outside of my accomodation. It sucks, I know, but I have some free time and three films from 2014 to review that are...relativly new so I can get away with the lateness of this one. After Se7en and Fight Club, I have been won over by David Fincher and had heard about his latest film, Gone Girl. So now that I've seen it, let's take a look and see how it stacks up against his previous titles.

Nick (Ben Affleck) and Amy (Rosamund Pike) Dunne are married couple whose world comes crashing down after Nick returns home one night to find the house in a mess and Amy missing. After days without a word, the press come down hard on Nick over the dissapearence of his wife as people begin to speculate about his connection to her dissapearence. To try and prove otherwise, Nick goes to people her can trust and people from Amy's past such as her ex-boyfriend Desi (Neil Patrick Harris).

Throw this one on the pile of 'great films that leave me fuming with rage' along side Watchmen and The Hunt. Heck, Gone Girl even taps into the reason as to why those two films make me so angry when watching them. They are fantastic films, as is Gone Girl, but injustice and the mindlessness of scared, stupid people just make me incredibly angry as a topic. As a critic, I have to be open to these things but they hit a cord with me. Gone Girl dives into both topics really well (maybe too well) and I can't fault a good script and narrative for such. They nail exactly what I hate about these topics and make me think deeper into why exactly I do. It does a fantastic job of doing so.

Looking on a more technical level, Gone Girl also delivers well on this department. The acting is fantastic with Rosamund Pike playing a very torn character beautifully and Ben Affleck's delivers naivety very well. They're performances coupled with the script leave you guessing throughout the entire picture as the film runs on the idea of doubt and making you reconsider everything you've built up. It's also incredbly to say that Tyler Perry can act and be one of the characters I really can get behind in this whole debacle. The whole idea of doubt is exemplified by Neil Patrick Harris' character. His backstory makes you want to avoid him but his attitude throughout the rest of the film makes you think he may have intentions even if he actually doesn't. A very complicated character that Neil Patrick Harris was key for.

Gone Girl makes me angry. It's a well written and performed film that is sure to be in the Oscar bracket this year but the themes and topics hit hard. I've seen my fair share of unpleasent but poignant films like 12 Years a Slave that are fantastic films but leave a bad taste in the mouth because of diving into the taboo. Gone Girl is this for me but is well worth watching. It isn't Fincher's best film as I feel his previous films have exceeded but it's poignant, thought provoking and keeps you guessing. What more could you ask for...except a happier film to watch after so you aren't angry for the rest of the day.

Verdict:
8.5/10
Risky yet rewarding. This is a fantastically written and performed piece from the new king of suspence.

No comments:

Post a Comment