Friday, September 14, 2012

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (Edger Wright, 2010) Review

What's this? A Edger Wright film without Simon Pegg and Nick Frost...and isn't set in England. Well...let's see what Mr. Wright can do without them...and also using a licensed material (this film is based on a popular comic series). I have never read the comic series but after watching this film...I may consider it. Does Edger Wright deliver the usual standard of films he has previously or does it fall short, let's find out.

Set in Toronto, Canada, Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera) is a twenty two year old jobless slacker who plays bass in a garage band known as Sex Bob-omb with lead guitarist/singer Stephen Stills (Mark Webber), drummer Kim Pine (Alison Pill) and roadie Young Neil (Johnny Simmons). About a year ago, Scott was dumped by his girlfriend, Envy Adams (Brie Larson) and on the rebound, started hanging out with a seventeen year old girl called Knives Chau (Ellen Wong). One night, Scott has a dream which, naturally, involves the girl of his dreams. When a party to try a get a gig contract, he runs into his dream girl Romana Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead). Scott manages to hit it off...sort of...but in order to stay with Romana, he has to defeat her seven evil exes.

It's official, after seeing this film, I can consider myself a massive geek. There are so many video game references which shows that the writers really did their research. Throughout the first half of the film, all I was saying was "I'M GEEKING OUT HERE!" especially the 8-Bit Universal ident and the use of the Fairy's Fountain music from The Legend of Zelda. Hell, they're band is called Sex Bob-omb! They're rival band is called Clash at Demonhead (look it up)! How can I not bring up these references. It almost feels like this film was made for me since I can relate to Scott and the humour is my kind of humour. It's bizzare but you would be wasting you time trying to explain it. I was in hysterics at some points. One of the funniest films I've ever seen.

The characters a great in this film. Scott and his group of friends are well written and developed (there's even character development in this film), Romana is the only character where I think "could have been better" but everyone else is great. The seven exes are fantastic. They are hilarious and the fight scenes are so random and all realism is thrown out of the window...but I don't mind since I'm a silly person. I may be a bit bias in this review since this film is based on personal taste but...it's my review and this film resonated well with me.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is a very good film as it blends action, humour and romance (something Edger Wright has done well before) but the use of geeky references and the hilarious moments and characters really add to the greatness (or as the film puts it: epicness) of the film. This is based on personal taste but I really enjoyed this film. I could watch it again and again and still find new things to enjoy. I'm with Empire on this and have to give it the score below simply because it feels like it was made for me...and that was a very personal review from Opinionated Movie-Goer...I apologise...

Verdict:
10/10
A fantastic, geeky film filled with video game references, great characters and is one of the funniest films I've ever seen. Three for three, Mr. Wright.

I realise I haven't done a bad film in a while...I'll find one for next week...probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment