Friday, February 22, 2013

Man on the Moon (Milos Forman, 1999) Review

It's time for a bio-pic! I can't remember the last time I reviewed a bio-pic (you know, those films that basically sum up the life of someone). Hell, I'm not sure if I've even reviewed one. So why am I reviewing it. Because I saw it a couple of days ago...that's all, no other reason. For those wondering, this is based on the life of Andy Kaufman (look him up)

Man on the Moon tells the story of comic actor/comedian Andy Kaufman (Jim Carrey). The film shows most of Kaufman's life dictating such events as Kaufman's agent, George Shapiro (Danny DeVito), getting Kaufman one of his most famous roles in the TV show Taxi and his controversial rivalry with wrestler Jerry Lawler (as himself) and even his love life.

If I were to ask you what film makes you question reality, what would you say? Inception? The Truman Show? How about Man on the Moon. If you are familiar with Andy Kaufman, you may be aware that he was impossible to take seriously. You had no idea whether what he was doing as really happening or just an act. I'm not really sure if this is a good thing or not. Yes, it's clever but man is it frustrating. I suppose that means the writing is good, so I'll give the film that....that and the cast and acting is pretty good.

Quite a lot of films have loads of outstanding things in it. Take something like The Dark Knight. The cinematrography, performances, music etc were great. Man on the Moon only excels at one thing: Jim Carrey. Carrey does an excellent job portraying Andy Kaufman. He does a very god job of the awkwardness of Kaufman but I don't feel like it's enough to hold up the whole film.

Man on the Moon is an alright film. I did enjoy it and I appreciate the good writing and cast but the rest is a average. Andy Kaufman is an interesting man and I appreciate what this film does in order to convey his life, I probably won't see it again. Sure, it's not a bad film, it's not even an average film, but the only thing that excels is Jim Carrey's performance. I'm glad I saw it but I probably won't again.

Verdict:
6.5/10
Jim Carrey holds the whole film up but, other than him, there isn't much else here. Made me question reality though...maybe I'm looking at it too deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment