Monday, April 29, 2013

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog (Joss Whedon, 2008) Review

You could argue that this isn't technically a film. Why? It was originally an online mini series...but it was compiled into one long movie so that's good enough for me! My very first review was Avengers Assemble so I think it's finally time to return to Joss Whedon's work with this little indie hit. Does it deserve the cult following that it has or is it just another pretentious film...sort of film? Let's find out.

Dr. Horrible (Neil Patrick Harris) is an aspiring super villain who has his own video blog. We is contacted by  Evil League of Evil and is tasked with having to kill someone in order to be inducted into the league. He decides to set up a plan in order to kill his superhero rival, Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion). Things change, however, when Horrible falls in love with a girl named Penny (Felicia Day) but trouble brews when Captain Hammer also takes interest in her. Horrible has to kill Hammer but still get the girl.

I can certainly appreciated the fan base and, while I do enjoy for the most part, there are some problems that I have to address. I know I will get killed by this but I didn't find Felicia Day all that...good. She wasn't exactly up to the standard that was set by the other cast members (Neil Patrick Harris is great and Nathan Fillion is glorious) and there are a few...I guess duff notes (after Les Miserables, I guess I can't really complain but at least that was justified).

Okay, onto the good. Nathan Fillion is the best of the cast members and creates a very enjoyable character. This is also linked to some very informal dialogue which gives for some memorable and quotable moments. Joss Whedon clearly knew what he was doing when he made this and has certainly come far since. For a small project, it looks pretty damn good with some interesting looking sets and props as well as some good special effects.

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog is an ambitious little film with some pretty good talent involved. The songs are great (Brand New Day being my personal favourite) accompanied by good actors (for the most part). Joss Whedon's direction helps move the film along. There was also a book released showing behind the scenes footage (which I have here) which makes the film that much more admirable. Good work, guys!

Verdict:
7/10
For the most part, it's an enjoyable little project with so great talent and likeable songs from the directing mind behind Avengers Assemble...that was unrelated but I thought that would convince you people to watch this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment