Monday, July 1, 2013

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (Gore Verbinski, 2007) Review

I always hate it when I start reviewing a whole franchise because I always end up watching a brand new film in cinema and, since I like consistency, I have to wait. Aw well, we've made it half way through the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise so It's time to take a look at the third (and what should have been last) film in the series subtitled At World's End...is this the one with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost or Seth Rogen and Jay Baruchel?

After Elizabeth (Keira Knightly), Will (Orlando Bloom) and Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush) rescue Jack (Johnny Depp) from Davy Jones' Locker, Lord Cutler Beckett (Tom Hollander) has obtained the heart of Davy Jones (Bill Nighy) and forms an alliance between him and Jones in order to finish off pirates once and for all. The crew of Black Pearl now have meet with all the pirate leaders in order to free the sea Goddess Calypso, who Davy Jones has a history with, and finally go to war against Beckett and Davy Jones.

I know that a lot of people hate this film and normally gets an "eh, it's okay" response...honestly, this is my favourite of the trilogy and, as I prepare for the hatedom (that's not a word...) that I will conjure, I think it's the greatest one too. The presentation of this film is fantastic with use of excellent costumes, make-up (Oscar nominated make-up!), visual effects (Oscar nominated visual effects!) and truly the greatest music in the series (one of Hans Zimmer's best). There are hardly any new characters which means that they have to rely on character development in this one and good God does this film work well at that! Jack Sparrow actually shows a more serious side in this film (one shot is especially good but I dare not ruin it), Barbossa's return offers some great moments, Keira Knightly and Orlando Bloom give a much more varied performances, Beckett is given an amazing send-off but Davy Jones is where the film shines. He is given a more developed background and a reason for his current state that I think works so well. For me, Davy Jones makes this franchise.

I hear the biggest complaint is that it's too cluttered and complex but with films like The Dark Knight Rises, I would say that it's a moot point considering that it's basically the norm for films now. I could counter-argument that it's ahead of it's time...but I'm not gonna. People also complain that there are some stupid moments and...yeeeaaah that is probably the films only major flaw and these moments aren't clearly justified but the serious moments counter them so I say it equals out. We also get some top notch action linked into a spectacular finale (two ships fighting across each other on a giant maelstrom!). The finale alone is more than enough reason to watch this film from "what shall we die for" to "it's just good business".

At World's End seems to get a lot of hate but, if you couldn't tell, I disagree wholeheartedly. I feel this is where the series was at it's best. It clears up from Dead' Man's Chest very well, it has some amazing music, spectacular action, brilliant character development, tremendous acting and great visual effects. So why is't it a 9? There are some unneeded moments that do make it a bit long (again, that's then norm for films) and it isn't a very clear film at times. So the trilogy is done...why was there a fourth? I have no idea...

Verdict:
8.5/10
There is so much in this film that I love that makes it my personal favourite of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment